By 11 am I had :
- bread rising (but it flopped and weighs a brick)
- eggs were boiling to go into sandwich filling for dinner and Axel's lunch today
- beets from our local CSA were simmering away
- zucchini bread was in the oven - you can get my new recipe here - yummmeeee!
- and I finally refined my recipe for mock apple pie - it turned out really good this time.
1. my A-7, 2. hand-pieced HAL, 3. Zucchini Bread, 4. Blogged A-7 5. Cooked beets 6. "Scandinavian" sandwich filling
Oh, and in the midst of all this, I was WORKING! I wrote this really long, picture-packed blog post about how to piece A-7 block for Contemporary Jane.
But I have to give most the credit to Superman, who came home after his own busy day and cleaned up the kitchen after I had packed up my basket with zucchini bread and pie and ran out the door to cooking club with our local CSA. What fun! I think there were 8 to 10 of us and we used red beet in 6 different recipes.
- pureed soup - with carrots and onion garnished with cream, chive and a nasturtium
- baked - with garlic and herbs
- as a carpaccio with capers
- pan-fried with peaches
- raw salad with apples and raisins
- as a coulee with ginger and raspberries served over ice cream