Tuesday, February 8, 2011

FAQ: the great GOT DOTS quilt along

Everything you want to know about the great GOT DOTS quilt along and more.


The DOT QUILT
Q Where did the inspiration for this quilt along come from?
A A friend and I saw this quilt on display in the Bellevue Arts Museum.  Click on the photo for a larger view.

Q How big are the blocks.
A My blocks are 6" / 15cm finished blocks but you are welcome to adapt this to any size you desire.

Q How big is the quilt?
A It's been so long since I saw the original ... but I think it was about 72" wide.

Q How big will the quilt be?
A I am actually working on two quilts:  one will contain all three types of blocks (dots, hearts and bowls) and I am not sure yet how big it will be but first I am going to plan for a top that is 42" x 54" and then decide if I want it larger.  This means I will need a total of 63 blocks with a layout of 7 blocks across and 9 blocks down.
For the 2nd quilt I am using bright colors the dots blocks for a contemporary twist .. I'll share more about that quilt soon.

Q How much background fabric will I need?
A For 6"/ 15cm finished blocks I cut my backgrounds 7" / 18cm to allow for trimming after the blocks were appliqued.
For a quilt using 63 blocks and
          40" useable fabric width = 2-5/8 yards of fabric.
          42" useable fabric width = 2-1/8 yards of fabric.

Q How much fabric do I need for the dots, hearts and bowls?
A I am using only scraps for the appliques, so giving you a quantity is quite difficult.
  • each DOT block contains 21 dots - you need a 1-1/4" circle for each dot.
  • the HEART block contains 5 dots plus 8 hearts - for each you need about 2-1/4" x 2-1/2".
  • the BOWL block contains 11 dots plus a 1-1/2" x 2" piece for the bowl.  

Q How many different blocks are in the GOT DOTS quilt?
A Three (3):  The dots block, the hearts block and the bowl block.

DOTS
HEARTS
LOLLIPOPS 










Q Where do I get the templates to get started?
A Check the right-hand column of my blog for links to each part of the quilt along as they are posted.

Do you have more questions, feel free to send them my way and I'll add the answers here! Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful quilt, with simple blocks and I love to applique! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt, it is amazing how often I see a quilt that I have never seen before. You are doing a beautiful job reproducing the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted my blocks of this pattern. I hope you like my version and thank you so much for sharing your pattern with us.

    ReplyDelete

*please read*

I would REALLY like to reply to your comment, but I can't unless you have your email address visible in your settings!

Log into blogger on your dashboard page, click where it says "edit profile" on the left side of the page. Then check "SHOW EMAIL ADDRESS" in the 3rd line down, and at the bottom of the page click SAVE PROFILE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...