Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sewing like a Fiend

Phewf - what a week!  I’ve been sewing like crazy.  Running on pure adrenaline I’m sure . . .
I skipped my Dutch classes for the first week back after the holidays and I’m sure that had something to do with it.
Ticked off this week includes . . .  

  1. Bullet worked farther on the Stars Galore houses pattern

  2. Bulletfinished my Tumbling Blocks top - (purples and greens)  It’s a sample for a class on machine piecing Y-seams that I’ll be teaching in Germany this weekend - am contemplating on an on-line class too, so let me know if you’re interested.  The quilt will be one that rotates through the guest room.

  3. Bulletfinished hand-piecing a Tumbling Blocks pillow front that matches the quilt above, but will go in our living room instead.

  4. Bulletfine-tuned the pressing plan for Tumbling Blocks with a started top of only solids.  I love how it’s turning out.  Really, really cheerful.

  5. Bulletoh yeh, I also trimmed and sewed some leftover triangles from the Bali Beach House quilt I made last year.  The triangles worked into a fun mini measuring only 6-1/2” x 9-1/4”.
I have to say, I just love those tick marks.  There’s something quite accomplished about it.
But I have to admit, there was a certain amount of un-sewing as well.  I have gone through miles and miles of thread.  On the bed-size Tumbling Blocks, there’s no seam longer than about 10 inches an constant stops and starts means that bit of thread between each one.  Plus all that I ripped out - where the six diamonds meet.  Oi Vey! - they were tough and some of them I stitched three or four times.  I know, let it go, but it would have bugged me each time I looked at it.  But then again it was pointed out to me, how often will I sleep on the guest bed? 
The diamonds at right are 3/4” wide >>>
For those of you who would rather avoid a rather strange but true drift off-topic, skip the following two Paragraphs . . .   
But now, another topic . . . Axel (my husband) reads and translates my blog entries into German (he's so happy I've figured out how to use the Google Translate Gadget ... I know the translations aren't perfect but it safes us both a lot of time), so I just read the last paragraph to him.  Remembering that he grew up in Germany and speaks British English you will understand that there is a certain amount of translating that goes on in our house everyday.  I made Chicken Mole tonight, wasn’t sure what he’d think but yeh, ok it went down ok.  He couldn’t figure out what was in it though, so . . . while I usually try to stick to American English after 12 years of exposure the odd and oh-so-very-occasional (here you’re supposed to chuckle) British pronunciation slips in.  When I said “a tin of to-mah-toes” he didn’t understand me.  I actually had to repeat “a can of to-may-toes.”  
Why onto this, well because he asked me what “oi vey” means . . . “I don’t know.”  I even wondered where it crept into my vocabulary.  I have to say it’s not something I usually say, but it does creep into my writing, so sometimes I have to figure out if it’s a Brown-ism (my strange family has invented some of it’s own dialect phrases).  Aha - my friend since high school, John!  That’s where I got it.  Ok, well what does it mean?  Ooops, off on a tangent answering the wrong question . . . so I did an on-line search and nearly fell off my chair (ok, I’ve had a glass of wine) the first and only real definition I came up was that it’s Yiddish for “rolls eyes.”  
Ok, so all this quilting has been making me a bit loopy . . . but how fun to finish some more projects.  I’m off to Germany this coming weekend to teach, teach and meet up with friends.  Spending the week over with friends should be a fun diversion  . . .

Get together with a friend this week and show her something you want to finish, she’ll help motivate you!   
(Thanks Liz!  for all the chiding the last couple months, I’m a slow start, but it’s paying off!)                                        
                                                              Jovita

Wow just remembered I had written this after a glass of wine, I hope I caught all the typos.  Some of them just “crepted” in.  Thank goodness I caught that one! 
Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

*please read*

I would REALLY like to reply to your comment, but I can't unless you have your email address visible in your settings!

Log into blogger on your dashboard page, click where it says "edit profile" on the left side of the page. Then check "SHOW EMAIL ADDRESS" in the 3rd line down, and at the bottom of the page click SAVE PROFILE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...